I wanted to pop a few recipes on here as well as waffling on
about being a Mum and life in general. Full disclosure, I am terrible at
following recipes. I am very much a “little bit of this... little bit of that”
type of cook and I used recipe books for inspiration and rarely actually follow
the instructions. Oh and I love experimenting and discovering new things. With
that in mind, let me ask you a question... Have you heard of Freekeh??
| Whole Grain Freekeh |
No? Well, let me introduce you. Freekeh is the new super
grain on the block and it is giving Quinoa a run for it’s money. Like Quinoa it
has a confusing name (pronounced Free-Ka but if you’re like me then calling it
freaky will make meals that little bit more exciting) but the similarities
don’t stop there. Freekeh has a low glycemic index and is packed with protein.
Ooops I haven’t actually said what it is... Freekeh is green wheat that gets
harvested when it is young. Then like Nat King Cole’s chestnuts, the wheat get
roasted on an open fire. As the inner grain is all young and moisture rich it
doesn’t burn so the strawy bits and the chaffy bits can be removed by a process
of rubbing l
eaving the yummy slightly smokey flavoured grain for us lucky
buggers to cook and munch on! Taste wise I would describe it as a bit smokey, slightly
nutty, a bit like pearl barley but stronger with a texture somewhere between a
brown rice and a chewier, firmer pearl barley.
![]() |
| Cracked Freekeh |
Anyway back to why you should get your freekeh on, so to
speak. With it having a low GI rating it means that when munched it will
release its energy slowly. Freekeh has up to 4 times as much fibre as brown
rice and this fibre is mainly insoluble fibre. As you probably know, unlike
carbs, fibre is not broken down in the digestive system so it just moves
through your body. Now insoluble fibre is good for digestive health as it soaks
up water like a sponge and then travels through you, essentially giving you a
bit of a clean. This type of fibre is great for helping combat constipation and
with conditions like IBS. Another awesome thing about freekeh is that it contains
loads of lutein and zeaxanthin which helps to keep your eyes health. Freekeh acts as a
prebiotic, it is packed with calcium, iron and zinc and it is low in fat to
boot. Brilliant!
So far I have found 2 brands that make freekeh; Artisan
Grains and Merchant Gourmet. The Artisan Grains version is sold in a 200g box
and it is dried, cracked freekeh. If you make this one according to the
directions on the box (without adding oil) then it is synfree on Slimming World
or 4.5 ProPoints on Weight Watchers for 50g dried weight. The Merchant Gourmet pouch
is sold ready to serve (but you can heat it up if you want to) and is the whole
grain. This one is 3.5syns on Slimming World or 10 ProPoints on Weight Watchers
for the pack (125g).
I’ll quit waffling on now and just give you my recipe...
Freekeh Salad Recipe
(Serves 4)
Free if using Artisan Grains or
1 syn if using Merchant Gourmet
2½ProPoints for both types
Either 100g of Dried Artisan Grains Freekeh (cooked following
the directions on the box and cooled) or 1 pouch of Merchant Gourmet Freekeh
3 Tomatoes, diced or a handful of cherry tomatoes, cut into
chunks
¼ cucumber, diced
4 Spring Onions, diced
75g Sweetcorn
2 Carrots, coarsely grated
1 handful of Rocket, finely chopped
1 handful of basil lease, finely chopped
The juice of ½ lemon
Just chuck everything into a bowl, give it a good stir and
then leave for a few hours for the flavours to cuddle. Serve with some cold
cuts of meat and some salad leaves. Lush!
Bonus recipe, just because I like you
Freekeh “Porridge”
(Serves 1)
1.5syns (or no Syns if you are using the Almond milk
as your healthy A choice, this recipe leave
you with 675ml for the rest of the
day)
5.5ProPoints
50g Artisan Grains dried Freekeh
200ml Blue Diamond Almond Breeze Unsweetened (long life one
only)
1tsp Cinnamon (optional)
1tbsp Sweetner (or more or less depending on your taste)
Pop all the ingredients into a saucepan. Slowly bring to the
boil. Give it a quick stir and then reduce the heat. Simmer for 15mins or until
it is porridge like. Serve with fresh fruit and/or swirled with yogurt. Go
wild!
Thanks for reading
xxx




Sounds delicious. I have to check if I can find it somewhere as well!
ReplyDelete